Is there anything better than cinnamon and Nutella? (The answer here is no, there is not.)
One day, in a total state of boredom, I attempted to make pull-apart monkey bread, following no recipe just remembering bits and pieces of the millions I have seen on Pinterest. The bad news here is it didn’t actually turn out as pull-apart monkey bread. This could be due to many factors, the first being that I did not use a bundt pan and secondly, I used the toaster over because I was too lazy to wait for the real oven to heat up. However, the good news is that I “invented” what I call cinnamon Nutella munchkins which have actually change my life, and the lives of others, for the better (I swear, ask my friends and family!) Since this incident I have never remembered the exact recipe I just eyeball everything but I have my eyeballing skills down fairly well, well enough that I think I can share my tricks with you all. All the ingredients are pretty much pre-made so there is no need for exact measurements anyway. They are not hard to made at all but I warn you things can get a little sticky, so beware. Let’s jump right into it!
Ingredients (makes 16)
(again, this is all kind of an estimate here but I swear it’s not a recipe that has to be perfectly precise, it’s all about preference!)
1 package of Pillsbury Grands Original Biscuits (I get the pack with 8 big biscuits and cut them in half)
4 tablespoons of butter, plus more for pan
1/4 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup of Nutella (or more depending on preference)
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Line an 8 x 8 baking tray with butter so the munchkins do not stick (I use an 8 x 8 pan because they fit perfectly in the pan. If you use a pan that’s bigger they will come out bigger and not the same. Try to use a pan where they all fit good, scroll down for pictures of what I am talking about!)
2. Make your cinnamon-sugar mixture by stirring together the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl (so self-explanatory, right?)
3. Cut each of your biscuits in half, giving you 16 halves of biscuit. Flatten out each half (almost like you’re making a mini pizza) and place a teaspoon or Nutella, or more depending on your love for Nutella, in the center. Pull the sides of the biscuit up around it so your Nutella is totally covered by biscuit. Make sure it’s closed up tight!! (This is the part that could get a little sticky and chocolatey so be prepared). Roll the biscuit covered Nutella in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place it in the pan. Repeat until you have filled your pan with 16 cinnamon Nutella munchkins (should be 4 rows of 4)!
4. Next, melt 4 tablespoons of butter with 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Pour this mixture over the tops of the munchkins (as evenly as possible).
5. Place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until the tops start to get crisp and golden. Be sure to check on them after about 10 minutes to see how they’re doing. Let them cool for about 5-10 minutes (or until they’re not hot enough to burn your tongue) and dig in!
One last disclaimer, again, this recipe is eyeballed invented by myself who is in no way, shape, or form a chef (or Betty Crocker)! This is a result of me playing around and it works great for me when I make it and taste amazing. Feel free to play around with the amount of Nutella you place in the center, your ratio of cinnamon to sugar, or your ration of butter to brown sugar. There are a lot of times I make way too much cinnamon-sugar but I just place it in a Ziplock bag and save it for next time!
Hope you all enjoy these delicious little treats and let me know if you make them!
Talk to you soon,